Dubuque Independent Football League (DIFL) employs volunteers who serve as “Assistant Coach” and report to the Head Coach for their team that is part of a larger organization of teams aligned with a specific high school football program in Dubuque. Each such organization is comprised of one or more Division 1 teams, one or more Division 2 teams, and one or more Division 3 teams. And each of those teams is led by a Head Coach who supervises this Assistant Coach position. It is the job of the Assistant Coach to assist with coaching and supervisory duties as assigned by the Head Coach. The job of Assistant Coach is a very demanding job that requires many hours of dedication each week during the youth football season. Typically, each team has about two to three practices each week on weekdays after school in the early evening and one game on Sunday, and the Assistant Coach is expected to attend all of these. There are also additional hours throughout the year when planning, preparation, and other organizational work occurs. The Assistant Coach must be trusted to perform all assigned duties in a timely manner, as well as absorb the duties of other assistant coaches when they are unavailable to perform their duties. This coaching position reports to the Head Coach, who reports to the Organization Head, subject to the rules and policies of DIFL in partnership with Youth Sports Foundation (YSF).
- Assist Head Coach with coaching and player supervision as assigned.
- Make sure all players are able to enjoy a safe and friendly environment that encourages learning, fitness, and fun.
- Attend all practices, games, and team meetings, in a punctual manner.
- Assist with the practice, development, physical conditioning, and safety training, of all players and other assistant coaches.
- Obtain required coaching certification and safety training.
- Attend all team meetings, organization meetings, and other meeting requirements as they are identified.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Previous experience as a football player or football coach.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- All applicants must pass a criminal background check.